Tobacco Cessation Webinar: Helping Providers Work with Patients to Quit
This webinar presented by Dr. Amy Lukowski, Clinical Director at National Jewish Health, provides the essentials of smoking cessation for patients who use tobacco. She discusses how smoking impacts patients’ health and reviews the treatment options for smoking cessation, including pharmacotherapy, best practices, and brief motivational counseling options. The Vermont Department of Health and National Jewish Health are pleased to offer this educational activity for health care providers throughout Vermont.
If you would like to receive CNE credits for participating in this educational activity, please follow the instructions below.
- Review the CNE information below, under “Learn More About the Webinar”
- Before watching the webinar please take the pre-test here
- Watch the full webinar
- After watching the webinar please take the post-test here
- You must receive a passing score of 70% correct responses or higher to receive a certificate.
Learn More About the Webinar
NPs, PAs and nurses
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the prevalence and patterns of tobacco use
- Explain the health and economic burden of tobacco use and benefits of quitting
- Demonstrate the benefits of combining pharmacotherapy and counseling to patients
- Implement effective counseling skills such as active listening and empathy that facilitate the treatment process
- Implement evidence-based methods for brief interventions for treating tobacco use and dependence
- Deliver the use of pharmacotherapy options for tobacco cessation to patients
Accreditation and Designation
Nursing Continuing Education Credits are offered by Vermont Department of Health an Approved Provider Unit of Continuing Nursing Education by the Northeast Multistate Division, an Accredited Approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Amy V. Lukowski, Psy.D.
Clinical Director, Health Initiatives
National Jewish Health, Denver, CO
Disclosure: Dr. Lukowski has no significant financial interest to report.
Sarah Meadows, MS, CCMEP,
Manager, Accreditation and Programs
Office of Professional Education, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO
Disclosure: Ms. Meadows has no significant financial interest to report.
Behavioral Health Provider Archived Webinars
The Vermont Tobacco Control Program worked with CAI to create a series of webinars tailored to providers in substance abuse and mental health treatment facilities. Topics include how to implement tobacco-free policies, tobacco and opiate addiction, and integrating cessation into treatment.